These jumbo corn muffins are the go-to starch for our barbecue ribs meal, and they are super easy to make! You can mix everything together quickly in a stand mixer while the oven is heating. If your kids like to bake, you can even have them take charge of making the muffins!
Do you prefer corn muffins or cornbread? Honestly, I am not a big fan of cornbread, probably because of its coarser texture and drier interior. On the other hand, I love corn muffins! They are soft and moist, yet maintain just the right amount of corn flavor.
These corn muffins are so easy to make and so yummy to eat, you will find yourself making them a lot! Then you will find yourself experimenting with different fillings or toppings – cheese is an excellent choice. Any type of shredded cheese work great. If you are more adventurous, you can put in chucks of Mexican Queso Fresco. The warm, gooey, and cheesy, center makes the corn muffins taste sooo good when they are fresh out of the oven! And they are still good the next day–just microwave for 20 seconds and they are as good as fresh!
If you like to spice them up, you can grind some fresh black peppercorns on top of the muffins before baking.
Let’s get cheesy and corny and make some cheesy corn muffins!
1-bowl Easy Cheesy Corn Muffins
- Corn meal: 52g
- All-purpose flour: 200g
- Baking powder: 12g (1 Tbsp.)
- Sugar: 135g (⅔ cup)
- Salt: 7.2g (1¼ tsp.)
- Large eggs: 2
- Milk: ⅔ cup
- Vegetable oil: 100 ml (6½ Tbsp.)
- Shredded cheese or other cheeses of your choice (1-2 cup depending on how cheesy you like!)
- Oil spray (for the muffin liners) [You can skip it if you don’t mind a few crumbs sticking on the liners.]
- Digital kitchen scale
- 6-count jumbo muffin pan
- 6 paper liners for jumbo muffin
Kitchen instrument of the day: KitchenAid Mixer
- Heat the oven to 425℉. Put the paper liners in the muffin pan and lightly spray them to ensure the muffins cleanly release. You can skip the spray if you don’t mind a few crumbs sticking on the liners.
2. Attach the whisk attachment on your stand mixer.
3. Set the stand mixer bowl on your digital scale before you turn it on. Make sure the scale reads “0” when the bowl is on it.
4. Add 52g of corn meal, 200g of all-purpose flour, 12g of baking powder, 135g of sugar, and 7.2g of salt to the stand mixer bowl. Remember to tare the scale after measuring each ingredient!
5. Put the stand mixer bowl back to the stand mixer, and turn it on low for 15 seconds. This step is to mix up all the dry ingredients.
6. Crack 2 large eggs and add ⅔ cup of milk into the bowl. Turn the mixer on low for 30 seconds until everything is just mixed.
7. Add 100ml of vegetable oil to the bowl. Turn the mixer on medium low for 30 seconds. Don’t overmix the batter.
8. Fold the shredded cheese (2 cups) into the batter with a spatula, just until the cheese is mixed in. Again, don’t overmix the batter.
9. Divide the batter evenly into the muffin tin. Add some freshly ground black pepper on top to add a little kick!
10. Put the pan in the oven, immediately turn the oven to 325℉, and bake for 30 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the center of a muffin. If the toothpick comes out clean, the muffins are done.
11. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then remove them from the pan. Enjoy them while they are warm!!
What do you like to eat your cheesy corn muffins with?
What types of cheese do you put in your corn muffins?